Events and offerings for Students
There are a number of events and offerings to help you acclimate to the university but also during your studies. And last but not least, celebrate your graduation!
Welcome Week and Faculty Day for International Students (in English)
We welcome our international students, including ERASMUS Students with our Welcome Week and Faculty Day.
Welcome Week for International Students
- 5-8 September 2022 (For the detailed program please scroll down on the linked page.)
- 5-11 October 2022 (For the detailed program please scroll down on the linked page.) including Faculty Day on: 6 October 2022, 10 am German time, preliminary program see below
Faculty Day for International Students
On 6 October 2022 we offer you a diverse program to get to know our Faculty and Campus. Kindly note that all detailed information about your (Master´s) study program will take place at another day (see further below).
As the Corona-regulations have been eased, the welcome program will take place in presence on the Southern Campus of the Faculty of Engineering in Erlangen between Egerland street and Cauer street and for those who are not yet in Erlangen partly online as well.
IMPORTANT and MANDATORY for those who will join the events in personal presence:
- Just for our planning: please register for the day in personal presence by one of the following links as soon as possible preferably by 3 October :
– in case you have already an FAU-IDM-account: https://www.studon.fau.de/crs4072514_join.html
– in case you do not have an FAU-IDM-account so far: https://www.studon.fau.de/studon_register, Password: WsL8XPqGxV
(Registration is not needed for online attendance only.)
- Please inform yourself about the current FAU Corona-regulations. You will definitely need:
– FFP2 mask
Program (local time, CEST):
10-11 am Welcome and information by the Faculty of Engineering, Cauerstr. 7-9, room H15 and H16, Zoom
Download: Presentation Welcome to the Faculty of Engineering WS22/23
11:15 am -12:15 am Parallel time slots for the different departments or study programmes:
– Advanced Materials and Processes (MAP): Zoom, link will be sent directly to the students.
– Department Chemical and Biological Engineering (CBI, CEP, CEN) : Cauerstr. 4, room KS I and Zoom
– Department Computer Science (programs AI, CE): No special event, meanwhile CE-students may join department CBI and AI-students Department Electrical Engineering.
– Department Computer Science (programs Computer Science and MT): No special event, meanwhile you may join department Mechanical Engineering.
– Department Electrical Engineering (EEI, ASC, ICT, CME): Cauerstr. 7-9, room H15
– Department Mechanical Engineering (ACES, IP, MB, WING, IP): Cauerstr. 7-9, room H16 and Zoom
– Department Materials Science including Nanotechnology: Zoom only, you may use Cauerstr. 7-9, room H6, one floor above H16.
12:30 am – 1:30 pm Lunch in the dining hall (Mensa)
Welcome from the President of FAU (in German)
Official welcome from FAU President, Prof. Dr. Joachim Hornegger, his colleagues from the Executive Board, and representatives from the cities of Erlangen, Nuremberg, and Fürth.
Monday, October 17, 2022
6 pm to 8 pm (entry from 5:30 pm)
Heinrich-Lades-Halle, Rathausplatz, 91052 Erlangen
Introductory events of the Faculty of Engineering (TF)
General First Semester Introduction and Specific Introductions for all Bachelor´s Students at the Faculty of Engineering (in German)
The general first semester introduction of TF takes place in winter semester only.
Subject specific introductions for all Bachelor´s and Computer Science teaching programmes:
Specific Introductions for all Master’s Programmes at the Faculty of Engineering (in English or German according to the programme)
More information about starting at FAU
More information on the programme pages
- Advanced Materials and Processes
- Advanced Optical Technologies
- Advanced Signal Processing and Communications Engineering
- Artificial Intelligence
- Vocational Training Engineering, major metal and electro
- Chemie- und Bioingenieurwesen
- Chemical Engineering – Sustainable Chemical Technologies
- Clean Energy Processes
- Communications and Multimedia Engineering
- Computational Engineering
- Electrical Engineering – Electronics – Information Technology
- Energy Technology
- Computer Science
- Computer Science for Teachers
- Computer Science, IT-Security
- Information and Communication Technology
- International Production Engineering and Management
- Life Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Medical Engineering
- Production Engineering and Management, major MB and EEI
Pre-courses and review courses (in German)
Soft skill seminars and Career Start Counseling (in German or English according to the program)
International Day 2022 – on 08 November 2022
The virtual fair around a stay abroad during the studies took place in cooperation of NAT and TF with the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences (WISO) of FAU on 08.11.2022 from 10 am. We offered many tips, expert lectures and firsthand information for your stay abroad. It was a mix of online lectures and some face-to-face events.
Details: www. internationalday.de
- 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.: NAT and TF presence information booth in the Mensafoyer Südmensa in Erlangen.
- From 19:00: Presence info meeting with former outgoers at Cafe Maulbeere, Nuremberg, Albrecht-Dürer-Platz 1.
(17:00 – 18:00: Zoom info meeting with former outgoers)
Commencement Ceremony for the Faculty of Engineering
At the Faculty of Engineering we are proud of each and every one of our graduates. Normally twice a year we hold a commencement ceremony in the main lecture building at the south campus, or in summer on the ‘Rote Platz’.
The next commencement ceremony is scheduled to take place on:
Friday, February 10, 2023, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Faculty of Engineering, H11 und H7, Cauerstr. 11, Erlangen
You will receive the invitation with your graduation documents from the examination office.
If you like to attend, you must REGISTER at the following link by 10.01.2023 at the latest.
Please note that the possibility to participate is limited due to the space available. You should therefore register online, stating the number of your accompanying persons (max. 3), as soon as possible after receiving your invitation.
As there might be changes due to Corona (even a cancellation of the ceremony might be possible), we kindly ask you to check this website for the latest information.
Please note that due to organizational reasons no registration and participation in the celebration will be possible after 10.01.2023. The next commencement ceremony will take place on July 21st 2023.
NEW: GOWNS AND CAPS
A graduation cap and gown is a special way to highlight your academic accomplishments during the commencement ceremony. Therefore, we are happy to announce that at the Faculty of Engineering, caps and gowns will be a part of the upcoming ceremony. In order to increase sustainability, it will be possible for participants to rent a cap and gown, including a sash in TF-silver-grey, which can be done via our cooperation partner „Robe Academicus“ using the link below for a cost of 25 €. We hope that this adds to the festive atmosphere of the event and would be pleased if you take advantage of this offer.
A booking with indication of the desired size must be made by 1 February 2023.
Graduates will receive the set home via DHL no earlier than 2 weeks / no later than 1 week before the ceremony. After the ceremony, you can then drop off the set in a prepared container in the returnable, resealable bag with which you received the academic attire, if you did not purchase it.
Please note: At the ceremony itself, there will be no more gowns available.
Program of the Commencement Ceremony
- Welcome address by the Deans for studying Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Heiß (H11) and Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rolf Wanka (H7)
- Introduction of the Alumni Clubs
- Keynote address by Prof. Dr. Vincent C. Müller, Lehrstuhl für Theory and Ethics of Artificial Intelligence
- Welcome address by the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Kai Willner
- Graduation certificate ceremony
- Master of Science awards
- Speech of two graduates
- From about 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. champagne reception in the southern cafeteria with live music by Ellen Denzinger and Arán Kelly
If you have any questions, please contact the Dean’s Office of the Faculty of Engineering:
Martenstraße 5a, 91058 Erlangen
The highlight of the ceremony is the moment when the professors of our departments formally hand over congratulatory certificates personally to each of the graduates. The top students are also granted awards from industry.
But there ist more: Entertaining, witty speeches from leading figures from industry and top scientists and motivating performances from well-known artists such as the mentalist Harry Riegel, who regularly astounds millions of listeners with inexplicable experiments on radio, ensure that there is never a dull moment.
The official part of the ceremony is completed by some final words from graduates and the formal speech of the Dean before the more informal celebrations start, with plenty of opportunity to chat, enjoy the live music and have something to eat or drink. We hope that the ceremony is a memorable occasion for our graduates, who are standing at the threshold to their professional careers, and encourages them to remain in touch with our Faculty of Engineering for the rest of their lives.