Welcome to the website of the women’s representatives at the Faculty of Engineering!
Promoting gender equality and implementing gender mainstreaming are key cross-departmental tasks at Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg. The women’s representatives are responsible for implementing measures relating to equality policy at the faculties.
Commitment to encouraging women at the Faculty of Engineering
The Faculty of Engineering is committed to encouraging women and increasing the percentage of women across all qualification levels. The specific initiatives on offer are stipulated in the current version of the target agreements 2018 – 2022 concluded between FAU and the Faculty of Engineering. On this page you will find information about the current programmes and initiatives for women at various levels of qualification:
- Doctoral candidates
- Postdocs, Habilitandinnen and Juniorprofessorinnen
- Initiatives for supporting proactive headhunting (chairs/departments)
In addition, the womens’ representatives organize and support various internships and mentoring programmes for female pupils.
The ARIADNETechNat programm offers customized mentoring, depending on the qualification level:
- ARIADNETechNat master for Masters’ Students (9 months)
- ARIADNETechNat doc for doctoral candidates (18 months)
- ARIADNETechNat postdoc+ for Postdocs and Juniorprofessorinnen (18 months)
In addition to one-to-one mentoring, the doc and postdoc+ programmes offer a series of workshops that contribute to personal development.
Please contact the programme coordinator programme coordinator if you would like to apply or require any further information.
Male candidates whose research activities focus on a relevant topic may also be considered for the visiting professorship.
More information, including who to contact, is available on the website of the Büro für Gender und Diversity (Office of Equality and Diversity)
The professorship is awarded each summer semester. Course content does not have to cover gender. The visiting professor should, however, take an active role in teaching the central curriculum and be available for coaching, specifically aimed at encouraging young women to fulfil their potential. Guest professors are appointed one year in advance by the women’s representatives.
W1 professorship: €50,000*
W2 professorship: €50,000*
The entire amount is allocated to the newly appointed professor.
* If a permanent professorship is awarded to an internal member of staff or a professorship is changed from temporary to permanent, the difference to the maximum amount is paid. In no instance will more than 100% of the stated maximum amount be paid.
- Diversität – Geschlechtergerechtigkeit – Chancengleichheit in Studiengängen (Diversity-Gender equality-Equal opportunities in degree programmes)
- Tipps für Lehrende zur Gestaltung von gender- und diversitätssensiblen Lernumgebungen (Tips for teaching staff for designing learning Environments sensitive to aspects of gender and diversity)
Female students and young female researchers at FAU can apply to become a mentor. As a mentor, you benefit from a network of at least 800 STEM women from science and industry.
Maternity and parental leave
In an emergency or if necessary for work reasons, it is possible for a short-term mobile home office to be set up and a laptop provided. If required, please contact Hanna Stöcker.
Further Information and contacts
Women's Representatives of the Faculty of Engineering
- apl. Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Kappes, Barbara
Elected Women's Representatives
- Department Chemie- und Bioingenieurwesen:
- Dr. rer. nat. Anna Becker
- Annika Briegleb
- Esther Renner
- Kerstin Schmalfeld
- Angelika Thalmayer
- Franziska Kranz
- Vanessa Lange
- Laura Lawniczak
- Jennifer Maier
- Dr.-Ing. Silvia Budday
- Annika Höft
- Elisa Wirthmann
- Samaneh Nasiri
- DI Dr. Stefanie Rechberger
- Dr. sc. techn. Julia Will
The ‘Principles for handling fixed-term contracts according to WissZeitVG, and to promote career opportunities for young researchers at FAU’ passed in March 2015 are also aimed at making the University more family friendly. If so requested by expectant mothers and fathers, a meeting should be held in good time to discuss the options available for balancing family and work in their specific case. The relevant women’s representatives (including those from the department) can also be invited to the meeting (section II.3).
If staff shortages are likely to occur while researchers are on maternity leave, an application can be submitted to the University Administration for maternity cover. This also applies to employees funded by third-party funds in order to improve the chances of women being employed for positions allocated to a specific project.
Büro für Gender und Diversity (Office of Equality and Diversity)
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg has decided to place a stronger focus on the topic of sexual harassment at FAU. The objective is to take a clear stance on the issue and actively deal with any conflicts arising as a result.
On the website of the Büro für Gender und Diversity (Office of Equality and Diversity) you can find Information on
- Richtlinien zum Umgang mit sexueller Belästigung an der FAU (Guidelines with sexual harassment at FAU)
- Internetschulung “Sexuelle Belästigung und Gewalt in der Arbeits- und Ausbildungswelt” (Online tutorial ‘Sexual harassment and violence in the world of work and education’
- Handzettel “Nein heißt Nein” (Leaflet ‘No means no’)
- Contact addresses