Answers about studying
You think that it is not so easy to organize your studies? Here we have collected information and links for you. And if you still have questions, we will be happy to help you.
The module handbooks for the study programs of the faculty will be maintained in campo from the winter semester 2022/23 and made available as PDF versions on this page at the beginning of lectures.
For the semesters up to and including the summer semester 2022, the module handbooks for the study programs of the faculty are available in the university information system UnivIS. To do this, call up the relevant degree program and select “Modulhandbuch (PDF)” under “Modulverzeichnis” in the left-hand bar. By clicking on “Handbuch generieren”, the module manual for the set semester (top right) is generated as a PDF.
Degree program and examination regulations
All degree program and examination regulations (German) for the Faculty of Engineering are published on a central website. Further related documents are:
- Equivalents of the Mathematics modules for Bachelor’s degree programs (German)
- Information on closely related degree programs (Sections 24 and 30 ABMPO) (German)
A glossary with translations of important terms relating to types of examinations and forms of examination is provided for English-language degree programs or those degree programs in which English-language modules are offered.
Dates of the written examinations
The dates of the written examinations are planned for the Faculty of Engineering in the two examination periods by the examination office. The dates follow an examination grid according to the decision of the Faculty Council.
Regulations about remote electronic examinations at the Faculty of Engineering
Accreditation of achievements
The accreditation of study and examination achievements at the Faculty of Engineering follows the principles of the Lisbon Convention. According to this, study and examination achievements acquired in higher education are recognized unless there are significant differences with regard to the competences acquired. Competences from vocational and school education as well as professional practice are recognized if they are equivalent. The exact wording of the regulations as well as further specifications, e.g. on grade conversion, can be found in the General Examination Regulations for the Faculty’s Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs (link (German)).
The examination board of the Faculty of Engineering is responsible for the accreditation of modules. On behalf of the examination board, accreditation officers (German) for each degree program carry out the examination for substantial differences. Applications can be sent to the examination office or to the responsible accreditation officer by means of a form available on the pages of the examination office.
The process can be seen in this chart (German).
Further information for accreditation officers
Teaching Evaluation at Faculty of Engineering
The evaluation is an anonymous survey of students at FAU. It is conducted at the end of each semester and is an opportunity for students to actively contribute to the improvement of teaching.
Access to the evaluation portal, current questionnaires, as well as results of the evaluations at the Faculty of Engineering can be found on this website: Teaching Evaluation at Faculty of Engineering
The evaluation concept of the Faculty of Engineering with a description of the different procedures can be found here (German).
- Access to questionnaires with transaction number (TAN).
- Relatively few questions to be evaluated centrally in order to promote respondent motivation.
- Hierarchically structured questionnaires to distinguish between general and course-specific aspects and to avoid redundancy.
- Additional course-specific questions that can be defined by the teacher in order to do justice to special circumstances.
- Quick evaluation of results as a basis for an immediately following discussion between students and lecturers.
- Efficient, continuous and comprehensive evaluation of all courses offered by the Faculty of Engineering.
- Direct and systematic inclusion of student interests in the design of teaching.
- Providing of an effective instrument for evaluation and quality assurance in university teaching.
Quality cycle and follow-up
at Faculty level
- To reinforce particularly positively evaluated courses, top lists for 15 categories are published on the this website, with categories based on the number of returns, the distinction between compulsory and elective subjects, and the course type (e.g. category “Lecture as compulsory subject with more than 20 returns”).
at the program level
- The chairs of the study commissions receive results of the surveys on all courses of the study programs for which they are responsible. Discussion of the results in the study commission is obligatory, as is the follow-up of particularly poorly evaluated courses (for more information, see the evaluation concept (German)).
at the level of the teachers
- The lecturers receive a report for each evaluated course, which they discuss with the students. The fact that serious and constructive criticism from students is taken seriously and that every lecturer is committed to the quality of teaching is part of the professional ethos.
To draw up your time table
For your attention:
- Please note that the planning for the following semester is always ready at the end of the lecture period (current schedule for the respective planning see here (German). Before that, the entries of time and place of the courses cannot be used for scheduling.
- Due to possible postponements at short notice, it is strongly recommended to retrieve the course dates again shortly before the start of lectures.
Contact for problems with creating timetables
Contact for technical problems with creating timetables:
Office for Student Information and Advice at the Faculty of Engineering
Contact for questions relating to degree programme content and timetabling:
Subject advisors at the Faculty of Engineering
Application for studying two degrees at the same time
To apply for studying two degrees at the same time, the following steps are required at the Faculty of Engineering:
- Please contact the academic advisor responsible for the degree program you are already studying.
- After that, go to the academic advisor who is responsible for the planned new degree program to be taken up.
- Write a message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the consent forms of the student advisors, then you will receive the necessary forms with the required signatures of the Dean of Studies III (Student Information and Advising). Alternatively, please come to the service desk of the Study Service Center of the Faculty of Engineering.
- Please submit the Application for studying two degrees and the Supplement to the Application to the Student Administration Office. This can also be done by email to email@example.com.
Please note: If you want to study a subject at another Faculty in addition to a subject at the Faculty of Engineering, you must also obtain permission from the other Faculty.
We would like to point out that you are responsible for any possible exceeding of the study time due to an additional workload caused by studying two degrees at the same time and that this does not justify an extension of the examination deadline.
Furthermore, the approval of studying two degrees at the same time does not imply any claim that the degree programs can be studied continuously without overlapping.
Good luck with your project!
Online platforms for organising your studies
There are several tools you can use to manage your studies online. Go to this overview to our online portals.