The General Doctoral Regulations (RPromO) regulates the doctoral procedure for all faculties at FAU: RPromO
Additional faculty-specific regulations are outlined in the Faculty Doctoral Regulations: FPromO Tech
Once you have found a supervisor you need to register on docdaten.fau.de to begin the doctoral examination procedure. Afterwards you will receive a link that will take you to the application form for Admission to Doctoral Examination. Submit all required documents in order to be granted admission by the Office of Doctoral Affairs.
Office of Doctoral Affairs opening hours
Please note: Our office will be closed from 21 December 2019 to 6 January 2020.
Mo & Thu: 8.30 to 15.00
Tue, We & Fr: 8.30 to 12.30 and by appointment
Following documents are needed:
- Application form for Admission
- CV (with photograph and details of educational background) – Do not forget to sign your CV!
- Certificates of all previous university degrees or state examinations
- Academic records such as diploma supplements, transcripts of records
You will be required to provide officially certified copies of relevant certificates, diplomas and other documentation issued overseas. This is the only way we can ensure that the copies you submit to us are identical with the original documents. You must also provide officially certified translations of any original documents that are not in German or English. You will find brief guidelines on what certified copies should look like, who can issue them and which documents must be translated. Before submitting your application, please check carefully that any documents requiring certification comply with the criteria specified. Find the guidelines here.
Regulations for China and Pakistan
- China: Applicants with documentation in Chinese must in all cases submit their booklets that have been certified and stamped by a Chinese notary.
- Pakistan: Applicants with documents from Pakistan have to submit certified copies including the HEC Attestation Stamp (Attestation Stamp of the Higher Education Commission Pakistan). The HEC Stamp has to be on the Degree Certificate as well as on the Transcript of Records
Please only send us the officially certified copies of your original documents and their translations and never the original documents. The Office for Doctoral Affairs accepts no liability for lost application documents.
Enrolment for doctoral programmes
Information on enrolment for doctoral programmes can be found here https://www.fau.eu/study/prospective-students/application-and-enrolment/deadlines-and-documents-for-enrolment/#collapse_1
Initiation of the Doctorate Procedure
The documents for the initiation of your doctoral examination have to be submitted on time, at the latest on Monday, 12.00 pm, in the week prior to when the Faculty Council meets.
Time schedule of the Faculty Council: https://www.tf.fau.de/fakultaet/gremien/
Requirements of the thesis:
- submit 5 bound copies of your thesis (6 copies in case of 3 reviewers)
- make sure to choose a high-quality binding, not a spiral binding, no hard cover
- use DIN A 4 format, double-sided
- include a detailed summary in English and German
- if the thesis is written in English, the title have to be translated into German
- please refer to the RPromO (see appendix) for the layout of the front and back side
For more information please have a look here
Please submit (irrespective of way of publication) a PDF file of the first two pages of your thesis to the Office of Doctoral Affairs to have the details checked and to avoid corrections afterwards.
The date for the oral exam has to be arranged by the candidates themselves. Please note that the Office of Doctoral Affairs has to be informed about this date at least 14 days prior to when the exam is scheduled.